How long will it take to get an estimate for my project?

EJCM allows 5 business days for estimates to give our vendors appropriate time to walk the space and review drawings for accurate pricing. Complicated projects and/or those that require specialty materials can take 10 business days to confirm logistics, and connect with specialty vendors to ensure we understand all aspects of the project and materials. If you need expedited pricing, please ask, we’ll do our best to meet your needs.

How much time should we allow for permitting?

Permitting time varies by agency and project scope and can range from 3-5 business days to 2-8 weeks. Projects under $500,000 with no structural components are typically permitted in 3-5 business days by the City of Denver, whereas Denver projects over $500,000 and/or with structural components, require 3-4 weeks for permitting. 3-4 weeks is the average response for most jurisdictions. The City of Boulder and Arapahoe County tend to have longer permitting periods.

Can I pick my own subcontractors?

EJCM will permit subcontractors recommended by our clients to bid on projects. As a best practice, we engage teams who have demonstrated an ability to provide competitive pricing, meet critical timelines, and perform quality workmanship. Often due to proprietary building systems, specific buildings require us to use preferred vendors for fire alarm, fire protection, and contractors associated with Building Automation Systems.

What aspects tend to have the most impact on a project schedule?

Long lead times on items like light fixtures/light controls and HAVC equipment definitely impact schedules and must be accounted for in advance. Also, obtaining construction and fire protection permits can be a lengthily process in certain jurisdictions. Through years of experience, EJCM has found creative was to minimize the effect of these processes to ensure on-time project delivery.

Can I request changes after the project is permitted?

While EJCM highly recommends submitting the most complete set of design documents to the city as possible, it is common for minor scope adjustments to occur after permitting. When changes arise, we provide expedited pricing for approval and the guidance to determine if an updated set of design documents should be submitted to the city. More involved changes typically require a supplemental permit.

What happens if Owner provided material or work is delayed?

When unplanned delays adversely impact material lead times, we use our creativity and flexibility to provide options for substitute products. If appropriate, we install temporary materials to obtain final inspections and replace them with the originally specified materials once they arrive, even if it is after move in. We do everything in our power to ensure we hit the project completion date.

What is required to get a certificate of occupancy?

The Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) — the municipality or county responsible for enforcing building codes must approve all permitted work on site. This means passing inspections for MEP, HVAC, fire and general building codes. Our superintendents ensure that work is completed in the most efficient sequence possible relevant to the AHJ’s permitting process. Once all final inspections are passed, the AHJ issues a Certificate of Occupancy or Completion.

Ask a Contractor